Total Started Survey: 289
Total Finished Survey: 271 (93.8%)
1. In general, do you think business conditions in Pennsylvania are BETTER, about the SAME, or WORSE than they were one year ago?
|ABOUT THE SAME||55.6%||160|
2. Looking ahead one year, do you expect business conditions to be BETTER, about the SAME, or WORSE than they are today?
|ABOUT THE SAME||47.0%||135|
3. Are employment levels at your organization HIGHER, about the SAME, or LOWER than they were one year ago?
|ABOUT THE SAME||56.1%||160|
4. Looking ahead one year, do you expect employment levels at your organization to be HIGHER, about the SAME, or LOWER than they are today?
|ABOUT THE SAME||66.7%||190|
5. What impact has the ongoing economic downturn had on your organization?
|SIGNIFICANT NEGATIVE IMPACT||24.7%||71|
|SOMEWHAT NEGATIVE IMPACT||57.5%||165|
|SOMEWHAT POSITIVE IMPACT||5.6%||16|
|SIGNIFICANT POSITIVE IMPACT||0.7%||2|
6. Has the ongoing economic downturn caused your organization to increase services, decrease services, or has the level of services provided remained about the same?
|ABOUT THE SAME||50.0%||143|
7. Has your organization had to do any of the following as a result of the ongoing economic downturn:
|LAY-OFF STAFF||31.9% (90)||65.6% (185)||2.5% (7)||282|
|REDUCE EMPLOYEE HOURS||28.8% (81)||69.0% (194)||2.1% (6)||281|
|CUT SALARIES||9.7% (27)||85.2% (236)||5.1% (14)||277|
|CUT OR ELIMINATE BENEFITS||26.5% (74)||68.8% (192)||4.7% (13)||279|
|DISCONTINUE SOME SERVICES||33.7% (94)||63.8% (178)||2.5% (7)||279|
|BORROW OPERATING MONEY||26.5% (74)||66.3% (185)||7.2% (20)||279|
|CANCEL OR POSTPONE EXPANSION PLANS||38.4% (108)||54.1% (152)||7.5% (21)||281|
8. If your organization receives state funding, has your level of funding INCREASED, DECREASED, or stayed ABOUT THE SAME over the past year?
|ABOUT THE SAME||17.8%||51|
|DON'T RECEIVE STATE FUNDING||37.1%||106|
|answered question||286||skipped question||3|
9. Would you say the current level of public trust in charities is:
10. Would you say the level of public trust in charities has IMPROVED or GOTTEN WORSE over the past couple of years?
|ABOUT THE SAME||45.1%||128|
11. To what extent are you familiar with the term "Community Benefit Organization"?
|FAMILIAR WITH THE TERM||40.4%||115|
|HEARD TERM. BUT NOT CLEAR ABOUT ITS MEANING||27.4%||78|
|NEVER HEARD THE TERM||32.3%||92|
12. Do you find the term "Community Benefit Organization" to be MORE ATTRACTIVE or LESS ATTRACTIVE than the term "Nonprofit Organization"?
|MUCH MORE ATTRACTIVE||15.5%||44|
|SOMEWHAT MORE ATTRACTIVE||25.7%||73|
|ABOUT THE SAME||15.1%||43|
|SOMEWHAT LESS ATTRACTIVE||19.4%||55|
|MUCH LESS ATTRACTIVE||12.3%||35|
13. Has anyone from your organization registered as a lobbyist under the Pennsylvania Lobbying Disclosure Act?
14. On any public policy issue during the past year did your organization lobby:
|FEDERAL GOVERNMENT||19.1% (53)||72.2% (200)||8.7% (24)||277|
|STATE GOVERNMENT||28.8% (81)||62.6% (176)||8.5% (24)||281|
|COUNTY GOVERNMENT||18.5% (51)||72.5% (200)||9.1% (25)||276|
|LOCAL GOVERNMENT||15.2% (42)||76.2% (211)||8.7% (24)||277|
15. Does your organization PLAN to lobby government at any level on any public policy issue during the coming year?
16. Does your organization have a board approved policy on advocacy and/or public policy?
17. When it comes to your personal responsibilities for lobbying would you:
|BENEFIT FROM TRAINING||44.4% (123)||36.5% (101)||19.1% (53)||277|
|BENEFIT FROM FACE-TO-FACE BRIEFINGS||37.7% (104)||42.0% (116)||20.3% (56)||276|
|READ BRIEFINGS||57.7% (161)||23.3% (65)||19.0% (53)||279|
18. Do you provide health insurance to your employees?
|CURRENTLY PROVIDE HEALTH INSURANCE||79.6%||227|
|PREVIOUSLY PROVIDED, BUT DISCONTINUED||2.8%||8|
|DO NOT PROVIDE, BUT PLAN TO IN THE FUTURE||3.5%||10|
|HAVE NO PLANS TO PROVIDE INSURANCE||11.9%||34|
19. If you provide health insurance, who pays the premium?
|EMPLOYER PAYS FULL PREMIUM||32.2%||88|
|EMPLOYEE PAYS FULL PREMIUM||0.7%||2|
|SPLIT/MAJOR PORTION PAID BY EMPLOYER||47.6%||130|
|SPLIT/MAJOR PORTION PAID BY EMPLOYEE||0.7%||2|
|50/50 SPLIT EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE||2.2%||6|
|DO NOT OFFER/WILL NOT OFFER INSURANCE||12.5%||34|
20. Since the beginning of the year has income to your organization from all sources:
|STAYED ABOUT THE SAME||37.1%||99|
21. Generally speaking, do you expect to see funding for 2012 INCREASE, DECREASE, or STAY ABOUT THE SAME as it was in 2011?
|STAY ABOUT THE SAME||48.3%||129|
|DON'T KNOW/NO OPINION||4.5%||12|
22. Approximately what percentage of your funding in 2012 came from the following sources?
|FOUNDATIONS||53.2% (132)||16.5% (41)||9.3% (23)||3.2% (8)||2.0% (5)||2.8% (7)||0.8% (2)||1.6% (4)||1.2% (3)||0.8% (2)||8.5% (21)||248|
|FEDERAL FUNDING||58.7% (138)||6.8% (16)||5.5% (13)||5.1% (12)||4.3% (10)||2.6% (6)||2.6% (6)||1.3% (3)||0.4% (1)||0.9% (2)||11.9% (28)||235|
|STATE FUNDING||48.1% (112)||8.2% (19)||10.3% (24)||7.7% (18)||4.3% (10)||1.7% (4)||2.1% (5)||3.4% (8)||3.0% (7)||0.9% (2)||10.3% (24)||233|
|COUNTY/LOCAL FUNDING||55.4% (128)||10.4% (24)||6.9% (16)||6.5% (15)||0.9% (2)||4.3% (10)||3.5% (8)||1.3% (3)||0.4% (1)||0.4% (1)||10.0% (23)||231|
|INDIVIDUALS||37.2% (93)||16.8% (42)||10.8% (27)||5.2% (13)||5.6% (14)||3.6% (9)||3.2% (8)||2.4% (6)||4.4% (11)||2.8% (7)||8.0% (20)||250|
|PROGRAM FEES||46.8% (111)||12.2% (29)||7.6% (18)||5.9% (14)||4.2% (10)||3.8% (9)||0.8% (2)||1.7% (4)||3.8% (9)||3.0% (7)||10.1% (24)||237|
23. Generally speaking, do you have GREATER, ABOUT THE SAME, or LESS ability to fulfill your organization's core mission this year than in past years?
|ABOUT THE SAME||55.4%||148|
|DON'T KNOW/REFUSED||1.1%||3||answered question||267|
24. How would the reduction or loss of the Federal tax charitable contribution deduction affect your organization?
|SIGNIFICANT NEGATIVE EFFECT||40.1%||107|
|MODERATE NEGATIVE EFFECT||34.8%||93|
|MODERATE POSITIVE EFFECT||1.1%||3|
|SIGNIFICANT POSITIVE EFFECT||0.7%||2|
25. Does your organization use social media? (Check all that apply)
|GOOGLE+ (AS INDIVIDUALS TO PROMOTE YOUR ORGANIZATION)||14.5%||34|
* don't use social media
* very little use of both
* Network for Good, email, Manta
* Use of social media is limited by staff time to attend to various aspects.
* Org Website
* just organizing to use
* not sure
* Constant Contact
* Email marketing
26. Have you tried to raise money through social media?
|TRIED, RAISED UNDER $100||6.0%||16|
|TRIED, RAISED $100-$999||12.5%||33|
|TRIED, RAISED OVER $1,000||12.1%||32|
|TRIED, RAISED OVER $10,000||4.9%||13|
27. Is your organization contemplating any type of material change in 2013?
|LIMITED LIABILITY CORPORATION||0.0%||0|
|CLOSING YOUR DOORS||0.0%||0|
|MOVING YOUR OFFICES||5.6%||15|
* Merger in the future.
* re-structuring of staff
* Opened an additional office to expand literacy classes
* researching merger
* closing doors if no merger/partnership can be consummated
* not certain what we will change at this time
* always exploring strategic alliances with other orgs
* retirement of CEO
* Consolidating Site Locations
* To Be Determined
* Leadership Transistion
* Partner unofficially by sharing costs with other org
* Another organization is becoming a susidiary of us
* possible merger
* Looking at options
* not sure what yet
* Likely that something will change, but whether merger or closing doors, or even expansion not yet clear.
28. Does your organization have difficulty hiring/retaining qualfied staff?
29. If your organization does have difficult hiring/retaining qualified staff, what is the cause of that difficulty?
|OUR SALARY OFFERS ARE LOWER||41.4%||48|
|FOR PROFITS OFFER BETTERS SALARY/BENEFIT PACKAGES||14.7%||17|
|INADEQUATE PREPARATIONS OF PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES||12.1%||14|
|INABILITY TO PROVIDE BENEFITS||3.4%||4|
* we only have 1 full time and 1 part time paid employee
* Our organization is new, this does not apply
* no time to mentor / train them
* Peoples lack of interest in volunteering.
* not applicable
* No funds for staff
* all volunteer
* An unfortunate side effect of the poor economy is that candidates who,
otherwise, may have declined lower salary offers are accepting the
compensation offered. If a potential candidate has other options or an
offer with a higher salary, s/he may decline our offer.
* all of the above
* Some good people leave for better salaries.
* Do not know
* no raise within the last 5 years
* internal struggles
* Hard to find qualified part time employees willing to work part time
* no salary available at all for increased staffing
* lack of professionals who are willing to live in a rural area
* I am the only staff member and I am grossly underpaid
* no issues
* odd shifts, low pay, demanding jobs
* No difficulty
* Hard to find pediatrician to come to innner city and deal with lower income
* can only offer parttime
* no hired staff
* limited number of aulified candidates
* Lack of effective board support
* Our salaries are very low, even compared to other nonprofits.
* Poor organizational culture
* All of the Above!
* no problem
30. Which issue(s) has your organization experienced challenges in regarding the recruitment of good Board members?
|LACK OF TIME||37.8%||91|
|PEOPLE ALREADY COMMITTED TO OTHER ORGANIZATIONS||29.0%||70|
|NOT WILLING TO FUNDRAISE FOR OUR ORGAIZATION||19.9%||48|
* limited to qualified family
* Lack of diversity
* don't know
* lack of qualified people
* qualified board members who understand non-profits and
have good business perspectives
* We have not had any trouble recruiting good board members
* Lack of time, other commitments, reluctance to fund raise
--- question indicated multiple responses; however,
the format would accept only one
* No effort being made to do so.
* no issues
* disengaged with agency
* Same board members for 10+ years
* 51% of our board members must be consumers
* no issues
* all the above except #1 and #2
* able to find good board members
* Willing to fundraise in limited sense, but not well connected
* no issues.
* Specific affiliation required for some members.
* No problem
* 51% of the Board must have a disability. Not easy to find
needed skill sets and a disability.
* #s 3, 4 5 - You really should have allowed multiple answers
in some of these questions.
* Current Board has lacked the leadership and knowhow of recruting
good Board members
31. Does your organization have adequate knowledge to ensure accurate reporting of management, program and fundraising expenses?
32. Do you feel your organization has adequate knowledge of all nonprofit legal and regulatory compliance issues?
33. Has your organization been engaged in any challenges over your property tax exemption over the past two years?
34. Are you concerned that local/county government may be preparing to challenge your property tax exemption in the near future?
35. Would you regularly like to receive information on policy issues (state and national) that impact nonprofit organizations?
36. IF YES, with what frequency would you like to receive information on state and national policy issues?
37. IF your organization belongs to a professional association, what services that are not currently provided would you like to see added?
* A directory of foundations trusts in SE PA
* D&O insurance
* none at this time
* advocacy, other revenue sources
* Seminars for Individual Boards, Analysis and Direction
* Pennsylvania Association for the Blind
* new health care law support
* Interns that volunteer to be of clerical service
* employment postings;joint grant seeking opportunities
* more training
* resources for nonprofits to boost capacity
* All is good.
* management training
* Some attention to the arts.
* ceo roundtable for discussion
* funding techniques
* HR consultation; Management Consultation
* Training for our needs
* Talent Recruitment
* Free training - Staff development
* Stronger and Effective Advocacy
38. What is your organization's biggest concern as you prepare for 2013?
* retaining board members
* The greater need for more community services and funds to provide those services.
* Currently experiencing an increase in demand for our services, particularly our
soup kitchen coupled with increased costs, particularly food at the same time that
foundation support has decreased both in terms of amounts awarded and more onerous
* Funding sources
* Operational funds
* cuts in reimbursement
* Lack of volunteers.
* Need to raise more operating funds
* funds for capacity training and funds to do more programs and provide more services
* Being in a more rural county, not being able to secure funding especially from foundations.
* Health Insurance
* finding qualified and enthusiastic event partners, funding, overwork.
* funding that is sustainable
* continuation of federal funding
* Retaining one federal and one commercial; contract
* mission accomplishment
* Budget shortfall
* Confusion in the public mind between the big nonprofits (hospitals, universities)
and us little guys!
* The huge increases in health care costs every year are very difficult for us.
* Federal funding cuts to State for Medicad programs.
* Sustainable funding
* Maintaining level of services and/or increasing as needs arise
* We are concerned about the cuts to government spending both state and federal
which affects both our target population to serve and our organization
financially in fulfilling our mission to serve them.
* decreased government funding, limite fundraising dollars, higher need for services
* protecting our investments
* Loss or Cuts in the Federal Tax Exemption for Non-Profits
* continued funding.
* Our major programs have been level funded for the past eight years; some funding
has been reduced or cut; other sources are unpredictable.
* Finding funding to replace the loss of State grants
* Adequate funding.
* Continued decline in state funding.
* state of the economy; aging of key philanthropists in the region
* Government funding for programs and services for individuals with intellectual
and developmental disabilities, and potential impact to our ability to maintain
service levels and programs.
* getting donations to run our programs
* government funding
* lack of funding
* We are a domestic violence/sexual assault agency and the increased demand for
our services continues to grow but not the funding. At some point something will
have to give....
* Continued funding
* Fundraising and lack of Board Leadership
* The Commonwealth budget
* Being able to supply adequate and efficent service to the homeless population.
* Hiring a new Executive Director