Total Started Survey: 370
Total Finished Survey: 370 (100.0%)
Section I: Issues
1. Do you AGREE or DISAGREE that cost drivers, like pension reform, should be addressed before the General Assembly considers any increase in taxes?
2. Does your company provide employees with:
|A DEFINED BENEFIT PENSION PLAN||2.72%||10|
|A DEFINED CONRIBUTION PLAN TO WHICH THE COMPANY CONTRIBUTES||38.69%||142|
|ADMINISTERS A DEFINED CONTRIBUTION PLAN TO WHICH ONLY THE EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTES||4.09%||15|
|WE OFFER NO RETIREMENT PLAN||40.05%||147|
- I am a one woman show... a party of one
- WE OFFER A SIMPLE IRA -- WE CONTRIBUTE, EMPLOYEE CAN OR THEY DON'T HAVE TO
- No employees
- Simple IRA with company match
- We have no employees.
- self employed with no employees
- SIMPLE IRA
- We funded both pension (that was underfunded old defined plan) and eliminated profit share plan. Both plans no longer exist. All monies were distributed out to employees due to excessive costs to run per year.
- simple IRA
- no employees
- 401K/profit Sharing plan
- we have a 401k that we make matching contributions to
- Self employed, no employees with an IRA
- I can't get any employees
- plan disbanned few years ago after IRS audit, never again
- We have tried to offer these employee contribution plans and cannot get our employees to participate.
- Currently i have no employees
- 401K/PROFIT SHARING PLAN
- 401K Savings Plan
- health ins.
- MATCHED CONTRIBUTIONS @ 3%
- profit sharing
- 401k plan with 4% match - Is that defined?
- We are looking into a contribution plan that the company contributes
- Self employed - no employees
- We plan on offering a retirement plan
- Simple IRA contribution, which employer matches up to 3%.
- 100% ESOP and a defined contribution pan that the company contributes to.
- 401K and profit sharing plan
- 401 K Plan where the firm contibutes when possible
- 401-K with annual company match
- 401K is our offer for retirement
- 401K with optional company matching, depending on how profitable we are
3. Does the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's unfunded pension liabilities in any way alter plans you might have to further invest/expand your business in this state?
4. Do you AGREE or DISAGREE with Republicans in the General Assembly increasing spending by $1.4 billion in the current fiscal year (2016-2017) and then raising taxes to cover that spending increase?
5. Pennsylvania's liquor laws have beenchanged to allow the sale of some products in certain retail venues. Do you think this change is sufficient, or should the state completely privatize the distribution and sale of such products?
|RECENT CHANGES ARE SUFFICIENT||12.30%||45|
|COMPLETELY PRIVATIZE RETAIL SALES||26.23%||96|
|COMPLETELY PRIVATIZE RETAIL SALES AND WHOLESALE DISTRIBUTION||52.19%||191|
6. Pennsylvania has an abundant supply of natural gas, but additional pipelines are needed toget that gas to market. Do you AGREE or DISAGREE that this resource should be developed and more pipelines built?
7. Would your business benefit from more/easier access to natural gas products?
|WE UTILIZE NATURAL GAS, BUT NO BENEFIT||28.42%||104|
|WE DO NOT UTILIZE NATURAL GAS, SO NO BENEFIT||29.78%||109|
2. Does your company provide employees with:
8. Do you have any open positions for which you have not been able to find qualified applicants?
|YES, 1-5 OPEN|
|YES, 6-10 OPEN POSITIONS||1.90%||7|
|YES, MORE THAN TEN OPEN POSITIONS||0.82%||3|
9. Over the past two years have you considered expanding your business, but did not because of: (Check all that apply)
|ONEROUS FEDERAL REGULATIONS||41.37%||151|
|ONEROUS STATE REGULATIONS||36.16%||132|
|CURRENT TAX STRUCTURE IN PENNSYLVANIA||29.04%||106|
|PROPOSED TAX INCREASES BY GOVERNOR WOLF||40.27%||147|
|LACK OF SKILLED WORKFORCE||35.07%||128|
|HAVE NOT CONSIDERED EXPANDING||23.56%||86|
- Just opened my new store.. cannot afford anyone
- Can't afford to expand
- If I needed to expand, taxes and regulation would make me think twice
- Expanded business, but utilized same employees
- Available funding to expand
- Unsure of our economy and government
- I am unable to get good, reliable help in my line of work. Why work for a service and earn $11.00 per hour when you can work "under the table" and make $25 per hour and not pay taxes
- Way too many manufacturing offshore agreements which makes the USA non-competative
- Health Insurance issues
- need more work
- have expanded because of 179
- Economic conditions are unfavorable.
- if hillary wins i want to sell my buisness!! I am completly sick of all the ridiculous political bullshit
- have only owned the business for 1 year
- difficult to find laborers / people that want to work!
- LACK OF PEOPLE ACTUALLY WILLING TO WORK!
- That sucking sound you here is the politions taking taking all your money
- Building Codes
- The feds have pretty much shut down the coal industry as we know it. That is where most of our work existed.
- I have expanded
- our pension plan is 300K underfunded. We are concentrating on getting that more under control, and will only hire someone new if it is a must
- pessimism in general
- Difficult Agricultural Environment
- We've expanded regardless of these issues.
- Coal industry was decimated by regulation and it hurt us
- federal tax structure
- We have expanded in the past year
- concern about stability of us economy
- local township restrictions
- market conditions
- We have expanded, above items did not affect our growth.
- healthcare law
- Ridiculous Medicare regs/cuts
- Not Applicable
- Banking stipulations
- PA has the second highest company state income tax!
- we expanded; purchased facility and hired additional workers
- Cut in state funding of nearly 80% 2012/2013 with no increases since then.
- Weak industrial economy
- federal regs killing off our customers
- expanded without regard to current regulations or taxes
- We have expanded in Texas because of the onerous business climate in Pennsylvania, the lack of infrastructure (airports, etc.) and the lack of workforce capability in technology areas in our location (King of Prussia)
10. Over the past nine years since the passage of Act 44 the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has diverted $5.2 billion to PennDOT to help pay for state highways and public transit. This has resulted in annual fare increases for turnpike travelers. Should the turnpike continue to share toll revenue with PennDOT, or should monies from fare collection be used exclusively for the maintenance and improvement of the turnpike itself?
|TURNPIKE FARE REVENUE SHOULD HELP FUND PENNDOT||28.96%||106|
|TURNPIKE FARE REVENUE SHOULD BE USED ONLY TO MAINTAIN AND IMPROVE THE TURNPIKE||62.84%||230|
11. If the election for President of the United States were held today would you vote for:
- Evan McMullin
- no idea. i'm so disappointed with my choices.
- Can't decide between 2 incompetent liars
- I am not voting for president
- Michael Israel
- Undecided....may not vote. First time in 25 years
- I really have no idea - I would like to know who you are endorsing
- I can't vote for any of them right now.
- Trump makes it hard / but most likely will vote for him
- not sure
- All are horrible
- mickey mouse
- BERNIE Sanders
- Voting is a private matter
- Undetermined at this point
- not sure,but not hillary
- No one worth voting for
- none of the above
- None of the Above
- John Kasich
- None of the above
- Dr. Carson
12. If the election for United States Senator from Pennsylvania were held today would you vote for:
- Michael Israel
- not sure
- dont know
- havent made up my mind
- not sure
- No Idea haven't followed it
- a non liberal
- don't know
- Sam Rohrer
- I will not vote for either
- any other!!
- Wish there was a conservative running
- Undetermined at this point
- Neither are fit for public office
- none of the above
- Joe Sestak
- not sure
- would not vote for either
- Neither Toomey not conservative contitutionalist
Section II: Business Climate
13. In general, do you think business conditions in Pennsylvania are better, the same, or worse than they were SIX MONTHS AGO?
14. LOOKING AHEAD SIX MONTHS, do you think business conditions will be better, the same, or worse than they are now?
15. Are employment levels at your company higher, the same, or lower, than they were SIX MONTHS AGO?
16. LOOKING AHEAD SIX MONTHS, do you anticipate that employment levels at your company will be higher, stay the same, or be lower?
17. Have your company's sales increased, stayed relatively the same, or decreased during the PAST SIX MONTHS?
18. Do you expect your company's sales to increase, stay relatively the same, or decrease during the COMING SIX MONTHS?
19. In general, do you have a POSITIVE, NEGATIVE or NO OPINION of the job performance of the following individuals?
|Answer Choices||Positive||Negative||No Opinion||Count|
Robert P. Casey, Jr.
|U.S. Treasury Secretary|
|Answered|| || || ||362|
|Skipped|| || || ||8|
20. In general, do you have a POSITIVE, NEGATIVE, or NO OPINION of the job performance of the following institutions?
|Answer Choices||Positive||Negative||No Opinion||Count|
House of Representatives
House of Representatives
|Answered|| || || ||361|
|Skipped|| || || ||9|
21. Which category best describes your position at the business in which your work:
- Former owner- business closed due to 40% tax on products I sell
- minor partner
22. In what part of Pennsylvania is your business located?
23. Please feel free to make any additional comments or observations about Pennsylvania's business climate.
- Please stop trying to "fix" it. Leave us alone.
- PA's taxes make it difficult to remain in business and combined with uncontrollable health care costs it is becoming impossible
- repeal obomacare farce
- The lack of coal and natural gas jobs in this area is killing the economy of Somerset County. Many local small businesses have blow through their entire line of credit just to stay open and are on the verge of closing.
- We are a small Plumbing Co. That works in many Twps. Boroughs in Southeastern Pa.. We have to pay local tax to many of these Municipalities. This creates an accounting nightmare as well as a considerable loss in revenue just for the privilege to be able to work. Our government just keeps making it more complicated to be in business. Fed. State.
- We need to support our domestic steel business. It is negatively affecting a wide sector of our business.
- The PA General Fund needs to reestablish the Tourism advertising budget that was so successful under Governor Randell
- The state government needs to be more fiscally responsible. The unfunded pension is a disaster that will eventually be forced on taxpayers and small business.
- Government should be responsible to better control spend instead of raising taxes to exploit more money.
- Regulations, tax increases, and reckless spending are just so out of touch with competent business practices! If I ran my business that way, I would not have lasted 46 years in business!
- Big mistake to legalize marijuana then spend money to fight drug addiction...absolutely absurd. Also a mistake to make access to alcohol easier, only large companies benefit from it. Smaller 6pack shops suffer. Gov Wolf wants to tax natural gas and guess what?....Haliburton moves out of PA. 200 plus jobs lost in Indiana County alone.
- As a tourism business, I would like to see money put in the budget to advertise Pennsylvania. It would bring money into the state, rather than raising taxes.
- The elected people must reduce the taxpayers liability to Public employees pensions. Including the school teachers and elected people. It is devastating the PA taxpayer and will cause more citizens to leave PA.
- As a small business we have tightened our belts it can not be any tighter, when is our government going to do the same.
- we need the coal and natural gas jobs back!
- Too many Regulations! Get Gov't off of our Backs!
- Thinking about closing up for good ! No one out there to help manufacturers in the USA. Congress and Senate and Obamm'y have sold us down the river !
- My business was closed on 9/24 as a direct result of a 40% tax on vapor products that was called for by Gov Wolf, and given to him by the Republican Leadership of the General assembly. If Rep Wheeland's amendment to this tax passes, we will reopen. Rep Wheeland is a hero to small businesses across the state.
- Until costs associated with pensions and education spending are brought under control the future of Pennsylvania does not look good.
- Insurance is out of control
- PA needs to change mandatory prevailing wage for government funded jobs. Need to make PA a right to work state.
- Building Codes and Other State Federal Regulations are KILLING US! Tom Wolfe is DANGEROUS to PA!
- State pensions are the impending storm. No one has the cajones to fix it. I would like to see the pension program go bankrupt. Only then will people sit down and work it out.
- PA needs to make their tax deduction and the standards for claiming the deductions consistent with the federal standards. The rules should also be the same for employees, self-employment and corporations.
- My optimism for the next 6 mos. is tied to election results. My impressions of Republican congress state and federal are tied to their seeming effort to 'do no harm.' Not nearly good enough. We need relentless efforts to do good. Send an endless stream of productive, opportunity/income generating bills to the executive office. If they are vetoed, step up to the mike and tell PA - the USA - what that veto cost in jobs, opportunity, income and future tax revenue, then send another.
- As a very small business owner, I can only view the fact that with Pa having some of the highest taxes in the country, this can not be good for larger business'.
- As a business owner under Gov. Wolf, we expect another shoe to drop making it difficult to operate in Pennsylvania. We need new blood in all areas of government today more than ever.
- Welfare to WORKFARE!!!
- Need to reduce the PA Corporate income tax rate
- The whole country and the state of Pa are run by a bunch of people that care more about keeping their job then doing the right thing for the working people of the country.It is terrible. we are getting close to the tipping point!!
- I really wish there were people who wanted to work, and the government made it easier(less expensive) to have employees. I am a one man show that could really use help, but am unable to find even an entry level mechanic to help in the shop. The tech schools are not teaching these kids how to work. The government has made it too easy to not work. I have Multiple Sclerosis and work more than full time to keep my business running. I ask for not government help, although I could use it. The costs have gone up so much to stay in business, I am about ready to just hang it up.
- Taxes are killing business. Regulations stifle the freedom to run a business without fear. Money needs to stop going to public employees and government. It's time for government to downsize so that business in the private sector can increase to the benefit of their communities.
- Uncertain economic climate is the worst enemy of small business. We cannot deal with what we don't know!!
- I AM DISAPPOINTED THE WAY THIS STATE IS RUN FROM THE TOP DOWN
- EPA and regulations are small business killers. Also, Penna needs to be a 'Right to Work' state...!
- turnpike money going to mass transit is bull. Have been tired of cheep fares for mass car truck drivers paying part of there trip (thru fuel taxes). Of course mass transit drivers are union !!
- I feel like I am just working to pay the insurance company's and state and fed tax's. Nothing left for me.
- Stop spending money on nonsense and let ht epoliticians get their own retmt plan like everyone else.I shouldn't have to pay for it they don't pay for mine. they just want more taxes.
- PA's future business climate will be strongly tied to the Presidential election. If Hilary Clinton wins, the whole business industry will suffer.
- Government needs to ease up on small business in regards to regulation and taxes, minimum wage and scheduling regulations so we can grow our business and continue to provide jobs and growth for ourselves and our workers. We as business owners have to work within our budgets which are determined by our income, the government should learn to do the same!!! You can't keep taxing and spending!!!
- We are Sick Tired of RINO's! They get into office then go along with all the LEFTIST LIBERAL TRASH like immoral Bathroom bills....etc. The Republicans do NOT stand UP for FAMILY VALUES.
- Whoever is making up the story that it is better should take a look at the Food Pantry lines, the sheriff sale on homes, mortgage forclosures, increase in robberies, etc.
- I'm hoping that we get a President who makes things better for the working man and woman. We are tired of paying for the folks who don't deserve it. It's one thing to be disabled or unable to work, however, we have too many people sucking off the system. We need to help our Vets and we need to close our borders. We need to take care of the folks who are here. We also need to protect small business. It's the heart of the U.S.
- Way too much "good intentioned" involvement from all levels of government which adds cost to US society which US consumers want but won't pay for when making their purchasing decision: buy domestic or buy imported product.
- Vehicle license is outrageous for all the more I drive my trucks, property tax must be abolished, I can't dig a hole in the ground unless I have a permit. All this and much more drags my business down. No morals in government!!!
- Brick and mortar retail is struggling with the onslaught of internet and direct chinese sales. sales tax e fairness would help our stores and restore the taxes already due that are not being collected and reduce the need for increased taxes. I would like to see the NFIB take a stance for small retail business to get congress to act now before more businesses fail including ours.
- Taxes will drive businesses away
- Pa. should become a right to work state. It should repeal laws dictating wage scales on public works projects.
- i would vote for toomy only if he supports trump
- Building Codes and Other State Regulations are FREEZING Growth! We need to get the Bureaucrats off our backs!
- As a small business, we are being killed with all the different taxes from the gasoline sles tax to the personal income + corporate taxes. I literally cannot expand because of all the taxes we have to pay. Now there is more talk of an internet sales tax of which we have no way to even track over 2,000 different state and regional taxes without some very expensive web site programing which is where most of our business originates.
- We opened a subsidiary company in Delaware because of Pennsylvania's tax structure.
- Dont understand why no one is capable of producing the numbers to show just how bad the climate is.
- We need to cut municipal government. We can't afford 37 municipal entities in Blair county for 120,000 people. We also need to consolidate school districts. One county district would be much more efficient than the 7 small ones we currently have.
- Pennsylvania is not a business friendly State. Too many regulations, too many taxes, a workers compensation system that favors the lawyers, and an unemployment compensation system that discourages hiring people.
- Too many hoops to jump through from state regs.
- We continue to be severely affected by the loss of coal and gas jobs in our area. Constant regulatory additions, changes, etc. make it extremenly difficult for a small business of 32 employees to make it today. Our revenues are down significantly and when I lose an employee to attrition, I do not replace. It's the worst atmosphere that I've seen as an owner of this 76 year old business and I've been working here since 1987.
- The business climate in PA sucks. Government interference with natural gas and coal is ruining companies and costing thousands of jobs. We need energy independence NOW!
- Small businesses need help ! To many regulations can drive us out of business. Not only that government will loose the tax income if we close!
- Erie County overall is taking a hit with GE layoffs; schools were incredibly frustrated with held funds due to budget impasse, and state regulations for private schools such as mine take an enormous amount of time away from our students
- We have to stop spending money we don't have. Taxpayers are not an unlimited supply train to fund governmental largess!
- sales tax laws should be changed. The system is totally out of touch with the marketplace. Add to income tax and eliminate sales tax and burden of tracking and collecting.
- The State (and country) are too politically divided. It needs less head in the sand and more lets make life good for all constituents.
- There are two pending bills in the house and senate that would cripple our industry if passed. Governor Wolf has been a huge disappointment along with Kathleen Kane.
- Question 4 is not worded well !!
- We were recently hit with a 34% increase from Blue Cross. Our healthcare costs are over $400,000. We had to increase our deductible to $5,000 to try to limit our costs. At $400,000 and a 30% gross profit, we need to generate $1.3 million in revenues just for the healthcare costs. I don't know how long that can go on before we are unable to compete, and our 63 jobs go down the toilet. We can't raise prices, and have instead been forced to give our largest customer a 3 year price deflation. We are an aerospace company and must have a quality system that is acceptable to operate. We are now trying to become NADCAP certified, something that just costs more money. That $100,000+ increase in healthcare would have funded that cost. Obamacare has destroyed the system.
- The first part of this poll was written in a very biased fashion. Shame on you for administering a push poll.
- Need to improve the courts by getting rid of partisan elections and instead selecting judges based solely on merit. The Pa. Supreme Court has become a disaster as a result of partisan elections and only will become worse, particularly as the plaintiff trial lawyers control the election process, they have completely co-opted the Senate Republicans with the selection of Judge Mundy, and the business community is completely shut out of the process unless we want to compete with the trial lawyers in buying the best judges that money can buy. The opposition to ending judicial elections is anti-business, no doubt about it.
- It is high time for our elected officials to vote and support what is right for all the people they supposedly represent instead of the special interest groups what fund there reelections!
- We have owned a business in Pennsylvania for 17 years. The increased burden of state government compliance issues has been very frustrating. The water regulations by DEP are unbelievable and amount to another tax. We went from quarterly water sampling to monthly sampling. These changes were not based on any history of problems with our water supply, just additional regulation.
- The Corp tax rate is the second highest in the country. Very bad. The Un Employment Compensation is ridiculous. If someone does a terrible job they collect unemployment when they are fired. I am told Job Performance is not the fault of the Employee. Really!?!? Why is it that many people can maintain employment, while other continue to collect unemployment for doing a poor job?
- Less taxes, more infrastructure repairs, less regulation. We need term limits for all politicians and long prison terms for those politician's who do wrong
- Gridlock in the State House and Senate is holding PA business back.
- Gubmint won't quit til we are a divided, broken people. Just as the ruling class wants, SLAVES!!!!!
- Pennsylvania's reporting requirements and taxation rates are too high. Small business is hurt and cannot grow. In addition the concept of Philadelphia being a "Sanctuary City" is indicative of the lawless nature of government in PA.
- There is very little short term optimism in industry It can and will get worse before it gets better The state federal govt needs a purge - too much waste and corruption strangling business
- It is what you make of it. There are always challenges and opportunities for innovation.
- It is becoming increasingly difficult to run a business in NE PA. Costs are through the roof and we have ZERO incentives to expand here. And what's with the 15.5% self-employment tax?!!! I get to pay 15.5% to risk everything I have to make a living and a living for others?? You call that fair? This damn government needs to be cleaned out and fixed. Give business owners incentive to stay here, not drive us out. Small-Med business drives the economy of the entire State/US ... that is fact. It's about time that government recognizes this and does something about it!!!
- I wish our politicians worked as hard as I do.
- My responses to this survey are personal and do not reflect the official responses of my Company.